Michelle Burke Massage Therapy Erie PA
Specializing in pain and injury treatment
Sometimes the only thing stopping people from trying massage is not knowing what to expect. Here is a brief walk through of that first massage appointment.
- Making the appointment. Finding a Massage Therapist to fit you and your needs is an important first step. Ask people you know who they recommend, try google, look in the phone book and there are Massage Therapist Locators through the professional organizations ABMP and AMTA. When you make contact, tell them exactly what is making you seek massage and ask how they can help you. Only make the appointment when you find the person that you feel can offer what your seeking.
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment time to fill out your intake form and discuss your needs with your therapist. Make sure all health information is filled in and up to date. Even if you think it won't matter for massage, make sure you inform your therapist of all medical conditions and medications as well as what you expect the outcome of your massage to be.
- Your therapist will ask you if you need a drink of water or to use the bathroom prior to your session.
- Your therapist will explain how to get on the table, some start face up and some start face down. If you have a preference, let them know. You will be told undress to your comfort level. That means that you take off or leave on as much clothing as you are comfortable. Your massage therapist will step out of the room while you get on the table and knock before re-entering.
- From the moment your massage starts, feel comfortable communicating with your therapist your need for more or less pressure, or if you want more work in a particular area. Whatever you would like them to know, go ahead and tell them. They want your massage to be a positive experience for you.
- After your massage, your therapist will leave the room so you can get dressed. Take your time and get up slowly.
- You will be offered a drink of water
- Be sure to communicate how you feel. Did massage help your specific need?
- Your massage therapist will make recommendations as far as drinking more water, doing some stretches and scheduling another appointment.
- Enjoy the rest of the day in a relaxed state!!
© Copyright 2017 Michelle Burke Massage Therapy Erie PA. All rights reserved.